Saturday 12 February 2011

To the barricades


THIS CH parent was all in favour of the tuition fees protests in December:
I'm proud of my daughter Ellie and her friend Hanita, both graduates of Christ's Hospital, who took part in the demonstration and occupation of Tory Party HQ. They aren't the anarchists of the foaming tabloid writers. Quite the contrary. Hedonists would be a better description! But young as they are they know right from wrong… And if resistance is in the air then that to me is demonstrated by one of [my] sons, Tom 13, who is also at Christ's Hospital. Never particularly political he came back for leave weekend wanting to go on the anti-cuts demonstration in Brighton!… I take pride in the fact that our younger generation is waking up to the need to change society and that means not accepting the idea that "there is no alternative".

No comments: